Thursday, March 1, 2012

Get your map out..

Isn't it funny how a good outfit changes your whole attitude?

Today I wore brown skinnies with a pleated front from Zara, a blue long-sleeve scoop neck, and a navy blue blazer with a plaid collar from Pull and Bear. I also donned a scarf that I borrowed (contemplated stealing) from my roommate's closet, so of course it is full of bright red and burnt orange hues. I feel absolutely European, better yet... Belgian, so I feel like I belong here.
I walked the streets with my head held high, refused to question which Tram or Metro I should get on and I confidently greeted people and spoke in my limited French. In essence, today was a good day in Brussels. I went to class, stopped by a corner café- paid far too much for terrible curbside cappuccino- and worked at my internship.

Then I came home and started a bit of spring cleaning of my computer files and photos.
Of course, I reminisced over about 3 years of photos and then this overwhelming feeling came over me and this thought stamped itself in big, bold, red letters across my mind:

How am I supposed to go back to my life?
Maybe it is a silly question, but no, I don't think so.
See, I never considered myself to be a "stereo-typical" American. I don't obsess over tabloids or reality TV. I keep myself relatively informed of current events. I am more mature, more introspective, more determined than your average 20 year old girl. I have high aspirations, and I have never intended to settle.

But now that I am here, now that I see this WORLD that I didn't know first-hand. How am I supposed to go back to Tennessee and do the same things I have always done, and think the way I always have?
My whole way of thinking has been completely transformed. I no longer live in the American bubble (not that the American life is a bad thing), but I have a global perspective.

How am I supposed to go home, graduate in December, and start a job in Tennessee and stop there? I have this new desire, burden even, to see the world and to make a difference.. to be bigger than myself.

I have always prided myself on being a very relational-based person. I invest in individuals, and I love making the smallest impact on the people around me. But now, I don't feel like that is good enough. I want to go to Africa and encourage young girls to love themselves, respect themselves, and protect themselves. I want to go to India, spend time with orphans, and show them just how loved and adored they are. I want to go to the Middle East and watch and participate as people recognize their ability to have a voice in their government.

I want to go.

So what's next?
I don't have answers yet, but stay tuned.. I'll keep you posted ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment