Sunday, February 12, 2012

what's been happening!

I'll just sum up the weekend, because it pretty much reflects life here in Belgium:

Thursday night my roommate and chef Annelise cooked vegetarian lasagna that was to die for! Then, Yonseili, Riikka, and my Veco buddy Rafi (the older student who showed us around campus the first day of orientation- who is not really older than me because I am a senior (freak out moment)) went out to a place called People Bar which is on Avenue Louise about a block from my house. Avenue Louise is a very ritzy area of town with Mont Blanc, Tiffany's, Herve Leger, and other high-class flagship stores, so People Bar was definitely no exception. The place was full of professionals that I am assuming are politicians, diplomats, or finance gurus. We decided to stay pretty low-key at a corner table and observe the suits in action.

Friday Yonseili and I met at Veco to get a bit of homework/studying in and then grabbed a super cheap lunch at Quick, the Belgian McDonalds, and it was just that! Friday night all of the roommates had dinner together which was splendid and we all talked about Scandinavia and how competitive all the countries are. Then we watched Mama Mia together and called it a night pretty early in the evening.

Saturday Riikka and I went for a run around our neighborhood! Talk about an experience. Beat up sidewalks, slow walkers, cars, and small alleys... but we managed to run for a good 40 minutes and not get terrible disoriented in the winding streets. Then, we got dressed up and went to the Affordable Art Fair, which is a fair similar in concept to the Fair company that I work for, Accessible Art. Some of our artists also had booths set up there so I got a sneak preview of their work! Then we went to Bourse (a trendy neighborhood in Brussels) met up with John, Ryan, Bridget, and Atif and bounced from one venue to the next checking out the music and scene of each place.

Today! Riikka and I got up early, went to LifePoint church and visited the Place Flagey Sunday morning market.. rows and rows of meats, breads, cheeses, and wines. Simply Devine <3

2 comments:

  1. Loving this peek into your life in Brussels. So glad you sound happy! Glad you're loving it! We miss you!
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Farah!! I'll try to keep this thing updated so you don't miss too much ;)

    ReplyDelete