Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Life as a Soap Opera

There is something to be said for the cast of shows like Jersey Shore, The Hills, Laguna Beach, Real Housewives of *name that city*.
And here is what I have to say, "I am so glad that I am not you."

Call me crazy, but I would rather be bored out of my mind in a world of simple than to spend a day in the "he said, she said.. did you hear about ____?" world that so many girls, teenagers, and sadly to say grown women, find themselves in.

I found myself in a situation similar to the above recently and two days later I found myself driving with the radio off, shaking my head and thinking.. "what just happened and how did I get here?" 
And as I thought, I just got more and more disgusted with myself to the point where I decided that it was more important (and profitable) to have 2 or 3.. maybe even 1 great friend, then a whole group of friends who don't really act as friends.

That is a tough pill to swallow for someone who genuinely loves meeting new people, making new friends, and creating a connection and bond with each and every one of them. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it is literally biblical. How many men of the bible had hosts of friends that defended them and loved them deeply that they actually trusted?

Coming up pretty empty-handed? I did too.

So- consider this a challenge to myself and to you: Cultivate the great relationships you already have. Don't let those slip, because they are so rare. Instead of trying to please everyone and make some people like you even more, spend time with the people who already think you're great and don't make you work for a friendship.

It might not be reality TV-worthy, but it could be life-changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment